This beef curry is made with lean stewing beef, rice, and simple seasonings. It's a very easy recipe to prepare and other ingredients may be added to it. It's a tasty beef stew mixture with lots of flavor.
Feel free to substitute roasted red peppers or sweet red bell pepper strips for the pimiento. And sliced onions may be cooked with the beef.
This baked curry rice and peas would be an excellent substitute for the plain cooked rice.
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck (stewing beef, lean)
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup very hot water
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder or more, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimiento
- Cut the stew beef into small 1/2-inch cubes. Sprinkle the beef with salt and freshly ground black pepper and then toss with the flour.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, brown the beef, turning to brown all sides.
- Add the hot water to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 2 hours. Check occasionally and add more water if necessary.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice following package directions.
- Add the curry powder and pimientos to the beef and mix well.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Add the rice to the beef or serve the beef on a bed of rice.