Chili seasoning mix makes this a very simple, tasty chili. Spice this simple ground beef chili up with hot ground cayenne pepper, extra chili powder, chopped jalapeno peppers or mild chiles, cilantro, or other favorite ingredients.
85% lean beef is a good ratio for chili, but feel free to go a little leaner to cut back on fat.
I've included a simple homemade chili seasoning mixture that can be used instead of a commercial mix.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 envelope (1 3/4 ounces) chili seasoning mix (see the homemade mix below)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans or pinto beans, undrained
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet.
- Cook the ground beef and onions over medium heat until it is no longer pink.
- Stir in chili seasoning mix, and then add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve this chili with cornbread or crackers.
Tips and Variations
- Homemade Chili Seasoning Mix - Combine 1 tablespoon of chili powder with 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes, 2 teaspoons of dried minced onion, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- Substitute canned black beans for the kidney beans or pinto beans.
- Use seasoned chili style tomatoes in the recipe.