There are free crochet slipper patterns in all shapes and sizes but there may be none for adults that are quite as easy as this set. These crochet slippers, designed to fit fully grown feet (teens included) are worked entire from single crochet stitches and use simple shaping to comfortably fit the feet. There is a matching free crochet pattern for baby slippers so you can make slippers for everyone in the family.
Skill Level: Easy +
You will need to be familiar with working both in rounds and flat in rows to complete these crochet slippers. Other than that, it's all very basic, so don't be afraid to tackle this project as one of your beginner projects. Of course, people of all skill levels may enjoy working on these cute crochet slippers that make a great gift option as well as something nice and comfy for yourself.
- Yarn: 2 (2, 2, 2) skeins Knit Picks, Swish Worsted [100% superwash merino wool; 110 yards; 50 grams; worsted weight], Color: “Squirrel Heather”. You may substitute any worsted weight fiber in place of the suggested yarn. Note that a machine washable yarn is generally preferable for footwear. You’ll need approximately 165 yards (75 grams) of your main color to make the second slipper size (shoe size 6-9).
- Crochet Hook: US size G/4.5mm hook. Adjust hook sizes as necessary to achieve gauge listed below.
- Extras: Tapestry needle for weaving in ends.
Crochet Slippers Sizing
Gauge: 8 sc and 10 rnds = 2” using size G/4.5mm hook.
- Length (toe to back of heel): 9 (10, 11, 11)”
- Width (around ball of foot): 7 (8, 9, 10)”
- To Fit US Women’s Shoe Sizes: 3-6 (6-9, 8-12, 8-12 wide)
Shoe sizes are given as a reference only.
It is best to measure actual foot circumference and length whenever possible to determine desired fit. Once you have worked this crochet pattern a few times (and you will want to use it ALL the time!) then you'll easily be able to adapt to different foot sizes without much effort.
Crochet Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- * = a repeat in the pattern
- beg = beginning
- ch = chain
- rep = repeat
- rnd = round
- sc = single crochet
- sc2tog = single crochet 2 stitches together (decreasing)
- sl st = slip stitch
- sp = space
- st(s) = stitch(es)
Before You Begin: Important Pattern Notes:
This crochet pattern is written for the smallest size with changes for larger sizes in parenthesis. When only one number appears it applies to all sizes.
This crochet pattern is worked in both row and rounds! Rounds 1 to 4 make up the toe portion of the slipper. Rows 1 and 2 will take you through the sole of the foot to the back of the heel. The final rows create a heel flap. The heel flap will need to be sewn in place before moving on the the Slipper Edging section.
You will work around the foundation chain on both the top (as normal) and the bottom to create the first round of this project.
Free Crochet Slippers Pattern
- Ch 8 (10, 12, 14).
- Foundation Rnd: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next 5 (7, 9, 11) ch sts, 3 sc in last ch. Do not turn. Rotate work 180 degrees. Sc in bottom loop of next 5 (7, 9, 11) ch sts, 2 sc in bottom loop of last ch st, sl st to beg sc to join rnd -- 16 (20, 24, 28) sc total.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1 (counts as 1st sc), sc in same st, sc in next 5 (7, 9, 11) sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in next st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 5 (7, 9, 11) sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in last st, sl st to beg ch to join rnd -- 20 (24, 28, 32) sc.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1 (counts as 1st sc), sc in same st, sc in next 7 (9, 11, 13) sts, 2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 7 (9, 11, 13) sts, 2 sc in next st, 1 sc in last st, sl st to beg ch to join rnd -- 24 (28, 32, 36) sc.
- Rnd 3: Ch 1 (counts as 1st sc), sc in same st, sc in next 9 (11, 13, 15) sts, 2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 9 (11, 13, 15) sts, 2 sc in next st, 1 sc in last st, sl st to beg ch to join rnd -- 28 (32, 36, 40) sc.
- Rnd 4: Ch 1 (counts as 1st sc), sc in each st around, sl st to beg ch to end -- 28 (32, 36, 40) sc.
- *Repeat Rnd 4 until piece measures 3 (3.5, 4, 4)” from toe.
You will now begin working flat in rows.
- Row 1: Do not ch. Sc in next 4 (4, 5, 5) sts, turn.
- Row 2: Ch 1, sc in next 22 (24, 28, 30) sts, turn.
- *Repeat Row 2 until foot measures 8.75 (9.75, 10.75, 10.75)” from tip of toe, or 0.25” less than desired foot length.
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in next 15 (16, 19, 20) sts, turn.
- Row 4: Ch 1, sc in next 8 (8, 10, 10) sts, turn.
- *Repeat Row 4 for 1.25 (1.25, 2, 2),” or until flap is long enough to fold up and meet sides of bootie to close back of foot.
- Last Row: Ch 1, sc2tog, sc in next 4 (4, 6, 6) sts, sc2tog -- 6 (6, 8, 8) sc.
- Fasten off yarn.
How to Assemble Crochet Slippers
You will now assemble the crochet slippers into the correct shape by closing up the back of the slippers.
- Thread tapestry needle with yarn.
- Fold heel flap up to close the back of the bootie.
- Sew edges of flap in place.
- Fasten off yarn.
Join yarn to ankle of crochet slipper at center back of heel.
- Rnd 1: Work 60 (66, 72, 74) sc evenly spaced around entire ankle opening as an edging. Use the formula of 4 sts per inch to help you space your sts evenly.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc2tog, sc in every st around to last 2 sts, sc2tog, sl st to beg ch to join -- 58 (64, 70, 72) sc.
- Rnd 3: Ch, sc in every st to end of rnd, sl st to beg ch to join.
- Try on slippers and repeat Rnd 2 if necessary to get correct fit.
- Fasten off yarn and weave in ends.
This post was edited / updated by Kathryn Vercillo