This easy crock pot beef brisket makes fabulous sandwiches. Shred the tender brisket and add barbecue sauce for a delicious meal. The brisket would make a great rainy day barbecue, and the slow cooker makes it a snap to prepare and cook.
The brisket is marinated overnight with seasonings and liquid smoke, so plan accordingly.
If you're making brisket for a crowd, allow about 1/2 pound per person. If you want leftovers, add a few pounds. The recipe is easily doubled for a party or tailgating.
I served the brisket with homemade baked beans and coleslaw. See the tips and variations for a basic homemade barbecue sauce and some other ideas.
This is the only slow cooker brisket recipe you'll need.
- beef brisket, about 3 to 4 pounds (not corned beef)
- 1/4 cup liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- prepared barbecue sauce, optional
- Sprinkle the beef brisket with liquid smoke and seasonings. Do not trim the fat; it will keep the beef moist and succulent.
- Wrap the beef in a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Refrigerate overnight if desired.
- Place the foil-wrapped beef brisket in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 9 to 12 hours.
- If desired, shred the beef and return it to the slow cooker. Add about 1 cup of barbecue sauce and continue cooking for about 30 minutes.
- Serve the beef brisket in toasted split buns for sandwiches or as a main course with baked potatoes or fries and coleslaw.
Tips and Variations
- If you happen to have some leftover brisket, add it to baked beans or a hearty Brunswick stew.
- There are so many great barbecue seasonings you might use on this brisket. Sprinkle the brisket with some mesquite seasoning or your favorite grill seasoning blend.
- Place some sliced onions on the foil before you wrap the brisket.
- Easy Homemade Barbecue Sauce: In a saucepan, combine 1 cup of ketchup with 4 tablespoons of molasses, 3 tablespoons of packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup of cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, a dash of cayenne pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
You Might Also Like