These crock pot beef tips are made with sirloin tips, mushrooms, and a tasty thickened sauce. Beef tips can be cut from any section, but sirloin tips or tenderloin tips are usually labeled. Budget-friendly chuck stew beef may be used as well. Red wine is optional in this recipe, but it does add some nice flavor.
If you (or members of your family) aren't a fan of mushrooms, feel free to leave them out. I sometimes add a cup of frozen pearl onions to the crock pot along with the beef.
- 8 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 to 4 pounds sirloin tips, cut in 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion or green onions
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, sauteed in a little butter
- 1 can (10 1/2 oz) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup or tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or cold water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they are tender and golden brown. Remove the mushrooms to the crock pot.
Combine 1/2 cup flour with the salt and pepper; toss with sirloin tips to coat thoroughly. Place the beef in the crock pot and then add the chopped onions.
Pour the mixture over the beef and vegetables; stir well.
Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
About 45 minutes before serving time, make a smooth paste with red wine (or cold water) and 3 tablespoons flour; stir the paste into Crock-Pot, blending thoroughly.
Cover and cook on high until thickened.
Serve over hot buttered noodles, mashed potatoes, or rice.
Makes about 10 servings.
Tips and Variations
- Add a cup of small white onions or pearl onions along with the beef tips, fresh or frozen.
- For additional flavor, sear the flour-coated beef tips in a few tablespoons of vegetable oil or butter before you add them to the crock pot.
- Use stewing beef in the recipe instead of sirloin tips, or cut up a lean chuck roast or steak.
- Replace the sauteed mushrooms with canned drained mushrooms.
You Might Also Like
Easy Crock Pot Beef Tips - With onion soup mix and some red wine.
Simple Slow Cooker Sirloin Tips - Made with condensed golden mushroom soup.
Heather's 4-Ingredient Crock Pot Beef Tips - With onion soup mix and cream of mushroom soup.