This egg salad is easy to prepare and makes great sandwiches on sliced bread, slider buns, or small rolls or biscuits. Add a sliced tomato and some lettuce to the sandwich for a delicious lunch.
The egg salad may be served on lettuce leaves as well. Add tomato wedges and slices of ripe avocado or serve the salad with soup or a tossed salad.
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 green onion, chopped, or a tablespoon or two of finely chopped red onion
- 3 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- dash freshly ground pepper
- Put the eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Place the pan over high heat and bring the water to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat, place a lid on the pan, and let the eggs stand for about 15 minutes. Remove the lid and run cold water over the eggs until they are cool enough to handle.
- While the eggs are still slightly warm, peel them. Tap the ends on the countertop to crack and then roll them gently to crack all over. Start peeling at the wide end.
- Put the eggs in a medium bowl and chop well.
- Blend the chopped eggs with the chopped celery and green onion, if using. Add 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise and blend well. Add more mayonnaise, as needed to moisten. Stir in salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the green onion with 1 to 2 tablespoons of finely chopped sweet onion, yellow onion, or red onion.
- Replace the chopped onion and celery with about 2 tablespoons of chopped ripe olives and 1 to 2 tablespoons of chopped drained sun-dried tomatoes (oil-packed).
- For easier peeling, use eggs that are about 1 week old. Very fresh eggs can be difficult to peel.
- Hard boiled eggs are easiest to peel as soon as they're cool enough to handle. Roll the egg on the countertop to loosen the shell and start peeling at the wider end.
- Hard boiled eggs in the shell can be kept refrigerated for up to one week. Peeled hard-boiled eggs are best used the same day.
- Serve the egg salad on small split biscuits. These cream cheese and chive biscuits would be perfect for egg salad biscuit sandwiches.