Honey, butter, and brown sugar bring out the natural sweetness in these cooked baby carrots, and lemon juice balances the flavors perfectly.
These nicely seasoned carrots are quick and easy to prepare, and they make a great side dish for a big family meal or holiday dinner.
Sorghum or maple syrup could also be used in this recipe in place of the honey or try some brown sugar glazed baby carrots. The recipe is easily scaled down for a smaller dinner.
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds baby carrots*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley for garnish, optional
- Rinse the baby carrots under cold water and put them in a medium saucepan. Cover with water and add 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and continue cooking for about 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a saute pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add honey and brown sugar and cook, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the lemon juice and gently stir in the cooked carrots, coating well. Continue heating, gently stirring, until carrots are hot and glazed with the honey mixture.
- Add kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately garnished with chopped parsley, if desired.
*To make this dish with regular size carrots, peel the carrots and cut into thick strips about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long and 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch in width.
Tips and Variations
- Instead of parsley, garnish the carrots with a few tablespoons of fresh snipped chives.