Mashed CauliflowerMashed cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables to serve to kids, because it is every bit as tasty as regular mashed potatoes, but the cauliflower gives them just an extra bit of vitamin C and fiber.
You can save time with this recipe by buying bagged, pre-washed cauliflower florets in the produce section of your supermarket.
- 1 large head cauliflower (or 10 oz. cauliflower florets)
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (or 2 Tbsp. minced garlic)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place cauliflower florets and diced potatoes in a large, heavy saucepan. Cover with water by two inches (the water should come up to two inches over the tops of the vegetables in the pot).
- Bring to a boil and cook 10 to 15 minutes until vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Drain in a colander.
- Return vegetables to the saucepan. Add remaining ingredients. Mash with a potato masher until the mixture reaches the desired consistency.
Love cauliflower? Try these other great recipes, like Roasted Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts and Leeks with Spicy Drizzle, Roasted Cauliflower and Sunchoke Soup, Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots with Olive Drizzle, White Bean and Roasted Cauliflower Spread with Sauteed Brussels Sprouts, and Sauteed and Braised Cauliflower with Mustard Seeds and Green Peppercorns.