01 of 06
How to Make a Simple Papercut Layered Shadowbox
Paper cut art has been around for a long, long time. Part of its popularity stems from the fact that you don’t need expensive equipment or supplies. All you need is a good pair of scissors, a craft knife, some paper and a little bit of artistic ability (or a template) to make a remarkable work of art.
This art form can be simple or complicated. Professionally made papercuts usually have beautiful details and take many, many hours to construct. If you want to learn more about many professional... paper artists today, and their work, make sure to take a look at this site. 25 amazing papercut artists are featured.
Today's highlighted paper craft project is a simplified adaptation of the paper cut style that has been popular for the last few years. It is a beginner’s version that uses simple details and can be cut by hand or with a digital die cut machine. It features the famous saying “I love you to the Moon and back”. Words of love a parent would say to a child. This project would be fabulous as a wall decoration for a child's room. You could also give it as a gift to someone you love for a Valentine's Day.Continue to 2 of 6 below.
02 of 06
Gather the Supplies for the Layered Paper Shadowbox
- 12” x 12” Shadowbox Frame
- Xacto knife
- Foam Core Board
- Glue Runner
- One sheet dark blue or black heavy weight card stock
- One sheet silver heavy weight card stock
- One sheet white heavy weight card stock
- Die cut files and template download (pdf,.ai,.eps,.dxf ,WPC and SVG files are included)
Continue to 3 of 6 below.
- Download template and cut files.
- Unzip the download and save to your computer.
- Measure the inside of your frame and adjust template size to fit.
03 of 06
Print or Load Your Downloaded Shadowbox Template Files
Continue to 4 of 6 below.
- If you are cutting the project by hand, print the pdf templates onto the card stock. Print the word layer onto the white card stock, and print the moon and stars layer onto the silver card stock. Use the dark blue card stock as the background sheet. This page does not have a template.
- Using the Xacto knife and ruler, carefully cut along the template lines and remove cut sections.Allways remember to use caution when cutting with an Xacto knife. Never cut towards your hand, always away from your... fingers.
- If using a die cut machine load the appropriate cutting file into the die cut software. Then cut out a layer with wording onto the white card stock and the layer with the moon and stars art onto the silver card stock.
04 of 06
Cut Foam Core Strips to Use as Inserts
Continue to 5 of 6 below.
- Cut sixteen 1/2” x 11.5” squares out of the foam core using the Xacto knife and ruler.
05 of 06
Glue together the Foam Core Square Inserts
Continue to 6 of 6 below.
- Apply glue runner to the bottoms of four foam core squares.
- Glue a second layer of foam core onto the first.
- Attach one double foam square to the center of each side of the face-up side of the dark blue card stock. Use the photo above as a guide.
- You may have to trim the foam core squares a bit to fit.
- Apply glue runner to the bottoms of the remaining four foam core squares.
- Glue a second layer of foam core to the first.
- Attach one double foam square to the center of each side of the face-up silver... card stock cut out.
- You may have to trim the foam core squares to fit once again.
06 of 06
Assemble the Shadowbox Layers into the Frame
- *A Quick Tip It is a good idea to clean the inside of the glass frame with a bit of glass cleaner before you start the next step. Little scraps of paper and dust tend to gather on the glass, and it is a pain to have to take the entire project apart to clean the bits and pieces.
- Place the white paper cut out layer face down onto the glass on the inside of the shadow box frame.
- Place the silver layer face down into the frame over the white layer.
- Place the black paper layer face down into the frame... over the silver layer.
- Attach the back of the frame.
- Hang up your picture.
- Get ready for all of the compliments you will receive when people admire your crafty skills.