This simple quiche is made with browned crumbled sausage and cheddar cheese. The crust is partially baked to keep it from becoming soggy from the egg mixture.
Feel free to add about 1/2 cup of chopped bell peppers and onions or green onions to the quiche. Mushrooms are another possible addition. Saute about 4 ounces of sliced or chopped mushrooms and add them to the quiche along with the sausage.
Use a regular or gluten-free frozen pie crust or ready-made pastry, or follow the directions for homemade crust. You might end up with a little extra filling with a frozen crust. If you do have extra filling, bake it without the crust in a small buttered baking dish or ramekin.
- 1 1/3 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter (1 stick, cut into small pieces)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 6 to 8 ounces pork breakfast sausage (or turkey sausage)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded and sharp)
Prepare crust for quiche or use a purchased 9-inch pastry shell.
Homemade Pastry (Optional)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Cut in cold butter with a pastry blender or fingers until coarse crumbs form; add ice water, a little at a time, until dough holds together and forms a ball. Shape into a flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 375 F (190 C/Gas 5).
- On a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll out the dough into a circle about 11 to 12 inches in diameter. Fit the dough into a 9-inch pie plate or quiche pan. Trim the edges, leaving a little overhang, about 1/4-inch all around the edge. Crimp the edge as desired.
- Line the crust with foil and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake quiche crust in the preheated oven for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and remove the foil and pie weights.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage, breaking up and stirring until no longer pink. Drain well and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, thyme, and pepper until well blended.
- Sprinkle the cooked sausage over the partially baked crust, and then top the sausage with the shredded cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and cheese.
- Bake the quiche for about 30 minutes, or until quiche filling is set and lightly browned.
- For breakfast or brunch, serve the quiche with sliced fresh tomatoes or fruit. Or serve the quiche for lunch with a cup of soup or salad.