These easy shirred eggs are baked in individual dishes with cream, butter, and cheddar cheese.
The eggs make a simple breakfast with 2 eggs per person. Add bacon, ham, or sausage, if you like, or serve them with fresh sliced tomatoes or fruit. They are excellent with a side dish of baked beans!
- 4 teaspoons melted butter
- 8 eggs
- 8 tablespoons heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper (freshly ground) to taste
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Put 1 teaspoon of melted butter in each of four individual baking dishes or ramekins. Brush the butter over the bottoms and sides of the dishes.
- Break 2 eggs into each dish. Add 2 tablespoons of heavy cream to each dish and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes; sprinkle 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese over each egg just a minute or two before the dish is done.