You should definitely serve this with a hunk of crusty bread to soak up all the delicious sauce. It may look like a lot of garlic for little palates, but when it is gently cooked it loses its bite and becomes mellower and sweeter. A pinch of hot pepper flakes boosts the flavor, but of course, if you have heat-sensitive offspring, skip it. The scallions add nice color and a bit of freshness, but there’s no point in adding them if it means you’ll be fighting with your kids about the green flecks in their food. If that’s not a problem be sure to sprinkle over some minced parsley or maybe basil or dill at the end for even more bright, fresh flavor.
Shrimp Lovers, Don't Miss: Three Simple Shrimp Recipes.
- 1 pound fettuccine, or other long thin pasta
- Kosher or coarse salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1 ½ pounds extra large (21/25 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 scallions, white and halfway up the green part, sliced (optional)
- Big pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup chicken broth, preferably low sodium
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, making sure to salt the cooking water generously. Drain and place in a shallow serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in large skillet over medium-low heat. Sauté the garlic for 2 minutes, until softened (do not allow it to brown). Turn the heat to medium-high, add the shrimp, and scallions and pepper flakes, if using, and cook, stirring frequently, until the shrimp just turn pink and cook through, about 4 minutes. Remove to a bowl.
- Don’t wipe out the pan! Return it to medium high heat, add the broth, bring to a simmer then add the lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Return the shrimp mixture to the pan, then pour the whole thing over the cooked pasta, toss well, and serve it up (adding in any fresh minced herbs you like).
Enjoy Pasta All Year Round with These Fresh Pasta Recipes for All Seasons...
Pasta with Ramps, Edamame and Sugar Snap Peas The prettiest spring pasta dish, crammed with a heap of green vegetables and tossed in a light parmesan cream sauce.
Pasta and Salmon Salad with Ramp Dressing A springtime pasta perfect for a picnic, buffet or potluck.
Simplest Tomato, Corn, Basil and Mozzarella Pasta Salad If this pasta salad isn't summertime eating at its finest, I don't know what is.
Spinach Goat Cheese Baked Pasta and Sunflower Seeds A very contemporary vegetarian pasta casserole that makes me think of cooler weather, but brings happiness to the dinner table any time of year.
Pasta with Creamy Sundried Tomato and Scallion Sauce The simple flavors in this dish compliment each other wonderfully in a creamy parmesan sauce. An added bonus: clocking in at 20 minutes total, this is a super fast pasta recipe.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Panko Crust Even grown up guests tend to sigh with pleasure when they see the browned panko crust atop this bubbling casserole of cheesy cavatelli.
5 Ingredient Pasta: Chicken and Mushroom Marsala Rotelle This 5 ingredient pasta dish is the definition of winter-hearty, and weeknight friendly.