This tasty shrimp salad is quick and easy to prepare, and it makes a great lunch or main dish salad for hot weather. Serve the shrimp salad with a cup of soup for a wonderful lunch, or serve as a summer supper salad with sliced tomatoes and other fresh vegetables.
The salad makes a good sandwich filling, as well. Chop it a little more finely and fill small buns or sandwich rolls.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green or red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Torn romaine lettuce or mixed salad greens
- Peel and devein the shrimp; rinse well.
- Bring 3 quarts of water with 1 tablespoon of salt to a boil over hight heat.
- Add the shrimp and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the pan and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the shrimp is opaque and pink.
- Drain immediately and transfer to a bowl. Cool completely and then chop coarsely.
- Mix the chopped shrimp with the diced celery, chopped bell pepper, lemon juice, and mayonnaise.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Taste and adjust the mayonnaise and seasonings, as desired.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce or mixed greens and a slice of avocado or tomato wedges, if desired.