This delicious sirloin strip roast is covered with coarse freshly ground pepper and herbs, then it is roasted to perfection.
This roast can be prepared earlier in the day. Just cover and refrigerate and then take it out of the refrigerator an hour before roasting time.
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (or kosher salt)
- 2 tablespoons black pepper (coarsely ground; or cracked black pepper)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon rosemary (finely chopped and fresh)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (flat leaf or curly, finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 pounds sirloin strip roast
- Optional: pan gravy or onion gravy
- Heat oven to 425 F.
- Combine the sea or kosher salt, pepper, minced garlic, rosemary, parsley, and olive oil. Rub the pepper and herb mixture all over the roast; place in a baking or roasting pan, fat side up. If not roasting right away, cover the roast and refrigerate.*
- Roast for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 325 F. Continue cooking for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the roast registers about 130 F on an instant-read thermometer or temperature probe inserted into the center of the roast. This is for medium rare. For medium, take it out of the oven at about 140 F to 145 F. (Meat Temperature Chart)
- Remove the roast from the oven, transfer to a platter or cutting board, cover loosely with foil and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes before slicing.
- While the roast is resting, prepare Pan Gravy or Onion Gravy.
- Slice the roast and serve with the gravy, along with mashed potatoes and a vegetable or tossed salad.
Serves 4 to 6.
*If you prepare the roast earlier in the day, cover and refrigerate. Take it out of the refrigerator about 1 to 1 1/2 hours before roasting. Uncover and roast as directed.