This slow cooker chow mein is surprisingly easy to prepare, and it makes a tasty meal with chow mein noodles or rice.
Steak strips are slow cooked with mushrooms and vegetables to make a chow mein style meal. Serve this easy dish with the hot cooked chow mein noodles or serve the vegetable and meat mixture over hot cooked rice.
This is a simple combination made with canned or frozen Chinese-style vegetables. Feel free to sear the beef strips before you add them to the slow cooker.
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushrooms, drained
- 1 1/2 pounds thin round steak, cut into strips
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1 cup hot water combined with 3 beef bouillon cubes or the equivalent base or granules
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (approx. 16 ounces) Chinese-style vegetables, or use thawed frozen mixture
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- chow mein noodles, cooked (or a similar noodle, such as lo mein or Hong Kong)
- In slow cooker, combine mushrooms, beef strips, celery, and onions with the hot beef broth, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours.
- One hour before the dish is done, add the Chinese vegetables and the cornstarch and water mixture.
- Cover and cook for about 1 hour longer, or until thickened and hot.
- Just before the dish is ready, cook the noodles and drain well.
- Serve the dish with the cooked noodles or hot cooked rice.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the soy sauce with Tamari.
- Add 1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger.
You Might Also Like