This easy preparation cooks hands-free in the slow cooker. Cinnamon, brown sugar, and butter flavor the squash. It's cooked with some apple juice or cider.
Serve the squash pieces as they are or scoop the squash out and mash it. Add a little of the cooking liquid as you mash. You may also put the liquids in a saucepan and cook them down to a syrupy consistency on the stovetop. Drizzle over the cooked squash.
- Quarter the butternut squash lengthwise, cut stem off, and scoop out seeds. Pour the apple juice into the slow cooker.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a cup or small bowl.
- Put two of the squash quarters, cut side up, in the slow cooker. Drizzle with about half of the butter-brown sugar mixture.
- Place the remaining two squash quarters on the first ones and drizzle with remaining butter-brown sugar mixture.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until squash is tender.