This slow cooker ground beef and cabbage dish is similar to unstuffed cabbage rolls. The ground beef mixture is topped with cabbage wedges and a tomato based sauce. I add about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to the tomato sauce but feel free to use some dried leaf thyme or seasoning salt blend if you don't care for the cinnamon flavor.
Serve this tasty beef and cabbage dish with hot cooked rice or boiled potatoes.
For a variation, instead of cinnamon, use a salt-free blend of herbs or dried leaf thyme, to taste. Or replace the salt with a seasoning salt blend.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 small head cabbage
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces) or 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup
- Dash of cinnamon (or to taste)
- Dash salt (or to taste)
- Dash pepper (or to taste)
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the ground beef and chopped onion and cook, stirring and breaking up the beef, until the beef is no longer pink.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the beef mixture to the crockery insert of your slow cooker.
- Slice cabbage into small wedges; place on top of the ground beef.
- Mix tomatoes, sauce, and seasonings; pour over all.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve the beef and cabbage with the sauce and hot cooked rice or boiled potatoes.