This slow cooker chicken gumbo is full of flavor! Smoked sausage, diced cooked chicken, and sliced okra are among the ingredients. And, like all good gumbos, it starts with a roux. Feel free to add about 1/2 pound of peeled and deveined shrimp the last 20 minutes of cooking time.
Serve this flavorful gumbo with hot cooked rice and a salad.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cooking oil (a neutral-flavor oil, such as corn oil or canola)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 12 to 16 ounces smoked sausage, sliced about 1/2" thick (spicy sausage, such as andouille)
- 2 to 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups sliced okra
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Das of salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
For the Roux:
- In a heavy 2-quart saucepan stir together flour and oil until smooth.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for about 15 minutes more or until roux is dark reddish brown.
- Let roux cool.
For the Gumbo:
- Add chicken broth to a 3 1/2 to 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in roux.
- Add sausage, chicken, okra, onion, green pepper, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours, or HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
- Skim off fat.
Serve with hot cooked rice.
Makes 6 servings.
You Might Also Like