This is a simple hot fruit compote made with canned fruit. This is an excellent side dish to serve along with a breakfast or brunch egg dish or breakfast casserole. Or top the warm fruit with some lightly sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping and toasted nuts or coconut for an easy and tasty dessert.
Feel free to substitute with some other kinds of canned or dried fruits. Add pineapple chunks, mandarin orange slices, or dried prunes to the mixture. Raisins, dried cherries, or dried cranberries can be added as well. Add extra orange juice or some apple cider or cranberry juice to the fruit if you'd like more liquid.
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced peaches
- 1 can (15 ounces) dark red cherries
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced pears
- 1 can (15 ounces) apricot halves
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
- 4 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Drain all of the canned fruit thoroughly.
- Transfer the drained fruits in the slow cooker. Add the brown sugar, orange juice concentrate, and cinnamon. Stir gently to blend.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook the spiced fruit on LOW for about 3 to 5 hours.
- Serve the fruit compote hot from the slow cooker.
- Instead of ground cinnamon, add a 3-inch cinnamon stick to the slow cooker.
- Dried cranberries or raisins may be added to the fruit mixture.
- Add 1 small can (8 ounces) of pineapple chunks with juice.
- For a thicker compote, replace the canned sliced peaches with a can of peach pie filling.