This garlic shrimp is a snap to prepare and cook in a slow cooker. The dish needs very little attention, so it's perfect for a busy day or when you just don't have stovetop or oven space for another dish.
The shrimp makes a fabulous appetizer. Arrange the shrimp and some of the sauce on a tray with toothpicks and toasted baguette slices. Or serve the shrimp and sauce with hot boiled rice or angel hair pasta.
Feel free to vary the seasonings. I used Creole seasoning, but a seasoned salt blend or plain kosher salt, paprika, and a dash of thyme or dried leaf basil would be excellent as well. Drizzle a few tablespoons of lemon juice over the shrimp before serving or serve the shrimp with lemon wedges.
See the tips below the recipe for a quick homemade Creole seasoning blend.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning*
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds extra-large or jumbo shrimp, or about 21 to 30 per pound
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, for garnish
Combine the butter, oil, sliced garlic, Creole seasoning, and the black and cayenne peppers in the crockery insert of a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 25 to 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, peel the shrimp. Run a small, sharp knife down the back of each shrimp. Pull the dark-colored vein out or scrape it out with the tip of the knife. Rinse the shrimp under cold running water and pat dry. Repeat with all of the shrimp.
Add the prepared shrimp to the slow cooker and stir to coat them with the oil and butter mixture.
Cover and cook on high for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring about halfway through the cooking time. When the shrimp are opaque and pink in color, remove them to a serving dish and pour the sauce over them.
Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve as an appetizer or main dish.
*If the Creole seasoning is salt-free, add about 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, or to taste.
- Quick Creole Seasoning - Combine 1 tablespoon of paprika with 1 tablespoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of garlic powder, 2 teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon of onion powder, 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon of dried leaf oregano, and 1 teaspoon of dried leaf thyme. Cover and store in a cool, dark place.
You Might Also Like