This easy hamburger casserole is made with convenience ingredients. The instant mashed potato topping makes this layered dinner similar to a cottage pie.
The recipe is an adaptation of one from a Rival recipe brochure. The original recipe used mashed potato flakes and much more sour cream.Since some instant potatoes take more water and/or milk per cup of flakes, I prepare them following the package directions.
If you decide to make homemade mashed potatoes, make them with about 4 to 5 medium potatoes and add sour cream to them before you spread them over the ground beef.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef, browned and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 to 12 ounces frozen green beans, corn, or mixed vegetables, thawed, 1 1/2 to 2 cups
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups prepared mashed potatoes, from instant or fresh
- 1/4 cup sour cream, more or less, or to taste
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Spray the inside of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef; drain off fat.
Add tomato sauce, chopped onion, garlic, mixed vegetables, salt, and pepper to the ground beef. Transfer the beef and vegetable mixture to the crockery insert of the slow cooker.
In a bowl, combine the prepared mashed potatoes with sour cream, to taste.
Spread the mashed potato mixture over the beef mixture.
Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
Sprinkle the potato layer with the shredded cheddar cheese and paprika 30 minutes before serving.
Serves 6 to 8.
You Might Also Like