Honey mustard adds flavor to this simple chicken and spinach slow cooker recipe. Serve the dish with rice or baked potatoes for a tasty family dinner.
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 heaping tablespoon honey Dijon mustard
- Dash of salt and coarsely ground black pepper or seasoned pepper
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) baby spinach, or 1 pound fresh spinach leaves (washed and dried)
- 2 tablespoons butter (cut into small pieces)
- Optional: chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Optional: toasted sliced almonds*
- Grease the crockery insert of the slow cooker or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Wash chicken breasts and pat dry.
- Rub the chicken with the honey mustard; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the chicken breasts in the crockery insert of the slow cooker. Top with spinach.
- If your slow cooker is too small for all of the spinach, steam it briefly and add the wilted spinach leaves.
- Dot spinach with butter and sprinkle with more salt and pepper.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley or sprinkle with toasted almonds before serving, if desired.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours.
*To toast almonds, add to a dry skillet over medium heat. Cook, constantly stirring, until lightly browned and aromatic.