This lentil soup is super easy to prepare, and it cooks hands-free in the slow cooker. Use leftover diced ham or country ham in this tasty soup.
Serve with cornbread or freshly baked Southern buttermilk biscuits for a delicious everyday lunch or dinner.
- 2 cups lentils
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups diced ham
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Rinse the lentils under cold running water; drain well.
- Combine the lentils and the remaining ingredients with 2 quarts water in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low, covered, 8 to 10 hours.
- Taste and adjust seasonings and serve.
- Add 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley to the soup just before it's done.
- Add about 1 cup of chopped spinach, escarole, or Swiss chard to the soup.