This wonderful shredded pork roast is piled on toasted buns and topped with coleslaw, pickle slices, and more barbecue sauce. It's a great way to fix a pork shoulder roast and the perfect dish for the slow cooker.
The recipe calls for browning the pork in a small amount of vegetable oil, but feel free to skip that step.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the pork on all sides.
- Peel and slice 1 large onion.
- Place half of the onion in bottom of crock pot.
- Put the pork roast in crock pot and add 1/2 cup water. Add remaining onion and the garlic.
- Cover and cook on low for 9 to 11 hours; remove meat and let it stand until it's cool enough to handle.
- Discard onion and juices in a slow cooker or crockpot.
- Tear roast into small pieces or shred with forks.
- Put the shredded pork back in crock pot and add a cup or more of barbecue sauce (until juicy - as much as you like).
- Continue to cook on LOW for 1 to 3 hours, or until flavors are blended.
- Serve shredded pork on toasted buns and pass the remaining barbecue sauce.
Serves 8 to 10.
You Might Also Like