Chili seasonings give wonderful Southwest flavor to this slow cooker pot roast. If you don't have ancho chile powder, use more chili powder blend, or some smoky chipotle powder. New Mexican chile powder is another great choice.
Add some extra heat to the pot roast with pickled jalapeno pepper rings or fresh chopped jalapeno or serrano peppers.
The beef may be shredded and served in flour tortillas or soft corn tortillas, or fill toasted split buns with the beef.
- 1 beef pot roast, about 3 to 4 pounds
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped chile peppers, mild
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- chopped fresh cilantro, optional
Combine all ingredients. except the optional cilantro, in the crockery insert of the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or until the beef is very tender.
Serve with cooked potatoes and corn or your family's favorite side vegetables, or shred the beef and serve it in tortillas or split toasted buns.
Garnish the roast with a little chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
- If you don't have ancho chile powder, use about 2 1/2 teaspoons of chili powder.
- For tacos, drain the beef and shred it. Serve it in crisp or soft taco shells or tortillas. Top with chopped tomato, red onions, shredded lettuce, and cheese, along with taco sauce and sour cream.
- Use leftover beef as a topping for nachos or pizza or add it to a bean dish or Brunswick stew.
Reader Comments and Suggestions
"I have made this recipe a few times, its so yummy. The first time we ate it like a roast but the other times I turned it into Enchiladas. They were the BEST enchiladas I've ever made. I used the juices from the roast to add to my spanish rice. Its so moist and full of flavor. I have recommended it to friends and family." Soph
You Might Also Like
Sweet and Tart Pot Roast