Conserve energy and keep the house cooler by using your slow cooker instead of the oven. Here's a flavorful one-pot meal the whole family will enjoy. Serve this potato and sausage dish with a tossed salad or sliced fresh tomatoes, along with biscuits.
I used spicy andouille sausage in the dish pictured, but feel free to use you favorite smoked sausage. Or use cooked fresh Italian sausage in the recipe.
- 10 medium potatoes (about 3 pounds, sliced about 1/4-inch thick)
- 12 to 16 ounces smoked sausage (such as chicken apple sausage or a similar sausage, sliced)
- Optional: 1 large onion (halved and sliced)
- 2 cans (about 10 1/2 ounces each) condensed cream of potato soup
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Dash paprika
- Toss the sliced potatoes, sausage, and onions together in a 5 to 7-quart slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, combine the two cans of soup, milk, pepper, and cheese.
- Gently stir the soup mixture into the potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, until potatoes are tender, stirring once about halfway through the cooking time.
Tips and Variations
- Add some diced green bell pepper to the casserole along with the onion.
- Use a can of cream of celery soup along with the cream of potato soup or make the dish with two cans of cream of celery soup.