This easy slow cooker meal is a simple combination of steak pieces, vegetables, and a tasty tomato mixture.
It's a meal in one pot, made easy and convenient with the slow cooker. Just prepare the vegetables and toss them into the slow cooker in the morning. While your meal cooks, you can be working or running errands; or just sit back and enjoy your day.
The dish is adaptable as well. For meat, feel free to use steak tips or boneless short ribs in the dish. The vegetables are versatile as well. If you aren't a fan of green beans, leave them out and serve the dish with your family's favorite side vegetable. Or add a handful of baby carrots or chunks of rutabaga to the pot. Small boiling onions are an excellent alternative to sliced onions. Mushrooms—whole or sliced, canned or fresh—are an excellent option as well. The possibilities are endless!
- 2 pounds round steak (about 1/2-inch thick)
- Dash garlic powder
- Dash kosher salt
- Dash ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 4 to 5 medium potatoes
- 1 can green beans (drained, or frozen and thawed green beans)
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can tomato soup (condensed)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can tomatoes (diced or cut-up, with liquid)
- Season the round steak lightly with the garlic powder, kosher salt, and pepper. Cut the steak into serving-size portions or cubes and place in slow cooker.
- Peel the onion and slice it into rings.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters. If the potatoes are large, cut them into 2-inch chunks.
- Add the potatoes, onion slices, and green beans to the crock pot.
- In a bowl, combine the tomato soup and tomatoes; stir to blend. Pour the tomato mixture over the vegetables.
- Cover the pot and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours, or cook on high for about 4 to 5 hours. The vegetables and meat should be very tender.
- The condensation over long, slow cooking will add some extra water to the dish, which can water down the juices. If the liquids taste watery, you can reduce them on the stovetop. Strain the liquids into a saucepan and bring them to a boil (keep the meat and vegetables in the slow cooker on warm or low) on the stovetop. Continue cooking for 2 to 5 minutes, or until reduced, and the flavors are concentrated.
- Arrange the beef and vegetables on a platter. Spoon the liquids over all and serve with crusty French bread or dinner rolls.
The best potato for the slow cooker is a low starch "waxy" variety. Choose red-skinned potatoes, new potatoes, fingerlings, or a medium starch Yukon Gold. Higher starch potatoes—such as russets and Katahdins—can be used, but be aware they will not hold their shape as well as the lower starch varieties.