This taco soup is quick and easy to prepare, and it cooks hands-free in the slow cooker. Top this delicious, thick soup with a dollop of sour cream and some shredded cheese or thinly sliced green onions. Garnish with crispy fried tortilla strips (see the how-to below) but coarsely crumbled tortilla chips would be excellent as well.
Take a look at the tips and variations below the recipe instructions for some additional ideas and substitutions.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans (undrained)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans (undrained)
- 1 (11 to 15 ounce) can whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro*Tel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 small (4 ounce) can chile peppers (chopped)
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope ranch dressing mix (purchased or homemade)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef; drain well and transfer to the slow cooker. Add the canned beans, corn, Rotel and regular tomatoes, and peppers. Stir in the taco seasoning and ranch dressing mix.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve the soup with tortilla chips or Mexican cornbread.
Tips and Variations
- Add a can of refried beans to the soup.
- If you don't have a can of chile peppers, add an extra can of Rotel tomatoes with green chiles and one 14.5-ounce can of diced tomatoes; omit the 28-ounce can of tomatoes.
- Add a few tablespoons of chopped jalapeno peppers to the soup.
- For a thinner soup, add some beef broth near the end of the cooking time.
How to Make Fried Tortilla Strips
- Line a large baking sheet with a double or triple thickness of paper towels. Slice 4 corn tortillas in half, then slice each half crosswise into strips. Heat 2 to 3 inches of oil in a heavy skillet to 350° F. Using a metal slotted spoon to stir them and keep them covered with the oil, fry a batch of about one-third of the tortilla strips until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove to the paper towels to drain and repeat with the remaining tortilla strips.