This super easy dip is always a hit, and you only need three ingredients!. Take the dip along to a tailgating party, a home game day gathering, office party, or any other event.
With only three ingredients it might seem almost too simple, but that makes it that much more versatile. Add chopped cilantro to this dip for extra flavor, and use your favorite salsa. Other possible additions include chopped fresh or canned chile peppers, chopped sauteed onions, hot sauce, or tomatoes with green chiles. Browned and well-drained lean ground beef is another popular addition, or make it with ground bulk sausage.
Serve this popular cheese dip right from the slow cooker with tortilla chips or corn chips for dipping.
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 jar (16 ounces) picante sauce or salsa
- Place the cheese cubes and salsa in a slow cooker or crockpot. Cover and cook on HIGH, stirring occasionally until the cheese cubes are melted and blended with the salsa, about 2 hours. Stir in fresh chopped cilantro after the cheese has melted or leave them out.
- Serve hot, right from the slow cooker, with tortilla chips or corn chips.
- Note: This recipe can be varied by adding chopped chile peppers, Ro-Tel tomatoes instead of the salsa, a few dashes of hot sauce, or other additions.
- The recipe makes about 1 quart of dip.
Tips and Variations
- Add a few tablespoons of finely chopped fresh jalapeno peppers or milder poblano or Anaheim peppers along with the cubed cheese and salsa.
- Add a small can (about 4 ounces) of chopped mild chile peppers along with the salsa and cheese.
- Saute 1/2 cup of finely chopped onions and bell peppers and add to the pot with the cheese and salsa.
- Crumble lean ground beef or sausage into a large skillet and place it over medium heat; cook until the meat is no longer pink, stirring constantly. Add the meat to the slow cooker along with the cheese cubes and salsa.
Serve the dip with tortilla chips, corn chips, or assorted crackers.
Makes about 24 to 36 servings.