A roast labeled "spoon roast" or "top sirloin" is a flavorful cut of beef from the sirloin and it is an excellent choice for roasting.
This spoon roast is seasoned with garlic and spices then slowly roasted to perfection. Slow roasting this sirloin roast leaves it tender and juicy. Serve this delicious roast beef with mashed or baked potatoes, steamed vegetables, and a salad. Steamed broccoli and green beans are very good with roast beef.
- Heat the oven to 425 F. Line a roasting pan with foil and place a rack in the pan.
- Put the roast in the prepared pan and rub it on all sides with the olive oil. In a small bowl combine the minced garlic with the chili powder, cumin, salt, and the black and cayenne peppers. Rub the seasoning mixture over the roast.
- Roast the spoon roast in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 225 F and continue roasting for about 3 hours longer (about 45 minutes to 1 hour per pound), or until done as desired.
- For medium-rare, the beef should register from 135 F to 140 F.* on a meat thermometer or oven probe in the thickest part of the roast.
- Tent the roast loosely with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
*Generally, medium-rare produces a tender and juicy roast, but according to the USDA Food Safety website, the minimum safe temperature for beef is 145 F.
- For extra flavor, consider preparing the beef several hours before cooking. Rub the roast with the oil and seasonings and then wrap it in plastic wrap or seal it in a food storage bag. Refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours or overnight. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Remove the roast from the refrigerator and place in the prepared roasting pan. Roast as directed.
- Replace the chili powder and ground cumin with 1 teaspoon of a Creole seasoning blend and omit the salt.
- Replace the fresh minced garlic with 1 teaspoon of garlic powder or granulated garlic.
You Might Also Like