Whip up this quick-and-easy smoked fish paté in your food processor. It's smooth, cold, creamy and pairs perfectly with a variety of breads and crackers. It's best served after being refrigerated overnight, so plan ahead if you want to serve this at a party.
Smoked fish is as old as mankind itself. Once a means of food preservation, smoked fish has become a much sought-after flavor. Fish can be cold smoked or hot smoked. It can be easy to make your own, if you follow some basic fish-smoking steps. All you need is a smoker, fuel and some fish.
If you don't want to smoke your own fish, find a reputable small smoker/purveyor who still smokes small batches, or purchase it from a well-known market or online company.
Here is more about paté, in general. Paté has a long and illustrious history and has meant many things to many people. But today, suffice it to say paté is simply a mixture of seasoned ground seafood, poultry, meat or vegetables, and often a combination of several different base ingredients.
Makes about 2 cups.
- 1 cup smoked fish (catfish, salmon, mullet, mackerel, etc.), skinned, deboned and flaked
- 1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons balsamic wine vinegar or red wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chopped chives (for garnish)
- Toasted bread wedges or crackers
- Place 1 cup smoked fish of choice, 8 ounces softened cream cheese, 4 ounces softened butter or margarine, 2 tablespoons balsamic wine vinegar or red wine, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1/4 cup minced onion, 1 small clove minced garlic, and ground pepper to taste in a food processor bowl. Pulse until mixed well but not completely puréed.
- Mound the mixture into a serving dish and refrigerate overnight. Top with chopped chives. Serve with toasted bread triangles or savory crackers. The paté tastes best when brought to room temperature. Refrigerate any leftovers.
More Fish Dip Recipes
- Greek Carp Roe Spread Recipe - Taramosalata
- Warm Halibut, Artichoke and Parmesan Dip Recipe
- French Cod Dip Recipe - Brandade de Morue
- Bulgarian Fish Roe Appetizer Recipe - Tarama
- Crab Dip Recipe
- Spanish Salt Cod and Potato Spread Recipe
- Cheater Smoked Salmon Paté Recipe
- Cheesy Lobster Dip Recipe
- Low-Calorie Smoked Salmon Paté Recipe