Grill your tofu in a tangy Asian hoisin-based sauce for an unusual vegetarian and vegan barbecued tofu recipe. Perfect for your vegetarian or vegan barbecue. It's always best to let the tofu marinade in the hoisin sauce mixture for several hours before grilling, so prepare in advance - even the night before your barbecue!
- 1 block extra firm tofu, well pressed
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- First, prepare your tofu. Like most vegan tofu recipes, this one will taste best if you press the tofu first. Not sure how to do that? See this easy step-by-step guide: How to press tofu.
- Next, carefully slice your tofu into 1-inch thick cubes or strips. If you're using skewers, cubes are best, but if you'll be placing your tofu directly on your grill, larger strips are better.
- Whisk together all the ingredients, except tofu, and place in a shallow dish.
- Place the tofu in the dish and spoon some of the marinade on top of the tofu. Allow the tofu to marinade for at least one hour, turning once or spooning more marinade over the top. You can also use a zip-lock bag instead of a dish.
- Lightly grease your grill and cook tofu over medium flame for 6-7 minutes on each side, basting with extra hoisin sauce marinade.
Like this recipe?
Loving this vegetarian and vegan tofu recipe? Here are some more incredible things you can do with tofu: