Beef gravy and onions smother these flavorful hamburger steaks. Use homemade or canned gravy in this easy dish. This vintage recipe is sure to bring back memories!
Serve these wonderful hamburger steaks with mashed potatoes and your favorite side vegetables or a salad.
- 1 pound lean ground chuck, about 85% lean
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1 can beef gravy or about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of prepared brown gravy
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, water, salt, pepper, and bread crumbs. Blend thoroughly.
- Mold the beef mixture into 4 large patties.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown hamburger steaks on one side. Turn the burgers over and add the sliced onions; brown lightly.
- Add the gravy, cover the pan, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer the burgers in the gravy for about 30 to 40 minutes.