These soft chocolate drop cookies are easy to prepare and bake, and they are very versatile.
Flavor the chocolate cookies with chopped walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts. Add chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, or brickle chips to the cookie dough.
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour, sifted before measuring
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa, unsweetened
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- butterscotch, white chocolate, or chocolate chips, optional
Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease it lightly.
Cream the shortening, butter, and sugar; beat in egg. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla.
Into another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa. Stir the dry ingredients into the first batter.
Fold in walnuts and chips if using. Chill for an hour.
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 12 minutes, or until no imprint remains when lightly touched with finger.
Transfer cookies to a rack to cool completely.
Makes about 3 to 4 dozen cookies, depending on additions.
- Let cookie sheets cool before adding the next batch. If cookie dough is dropped onto hot cookie sheets, they will begin to spread before they start cooking.
- Slide the cookies off of the baking sheet and onto a rack to cool. If they are baked on parchment paper, slide them off onto the rack, parchment and all.
- Grease baking sheets with unsalted butter or margarine, shortening, or cooking spray.
- Dark baking sheets absorb more oven heat. Line dark baking sheets with heavy duty foil to prevent over-browning.
You Might Also Like