- Butter the sides of a heavy medium (2-quart) saucepan.
- Add sugar, sour cream, corn syrup and salt in a saucepan. Cook over low heat, constantly stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Turn heat up to medium and cook until mixture boils. Continue cooking, occasionally stirring, to about 239 F on a candy thermometer, or softball* stage.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter and vanilla; cool to lukewarm or about 110 F, then beat vigorously until the fudge is creamy and no longer glossy. Stir in cherries and walnuts.
- Pour fudge mixture into a buttered 8-inch square pan. Let harden then cut into squares.
- *To Test for Soft Ball Stage: A small amount of syrup dropped into chilled water forms a ball but flattens when picked up with fingers (234 F to 240 F).
You Might Also Like