This lemon peel ricotta creme recipe is from Phase 1 of "The South Beach Diet: The Delicious, Doctor-Designed, Foolproof Plan for Fast and Healthy Weight Loss" by Arthur S. Agatston M.D. (Ballantine Books, 2003).
The South Beach Diet is a popular diet program that is based on a healthy balance between carbohydrates and fats. The purpose of the diet is to change the balance of foods you eat and encourage healthy food choices, which will lead to weight loss.
The South Beach Diet is divided into 3 phases, with specific food allowances for each phase. Phase 1 lasts 2 weeks and is the most restrictive eating plan of the diet. In Phase 1 you are eliminating most carbs fruit, grains, starches or alcohol from your daily diet. Phase 2 allows you to reintroduce some carbs back into your diet, in moderation. Phase 2 lasts until you reach your goal weight. Finally, Phase 3 is the final, and least restrictive phase of the diet. Phase 3 allows for the most flexibility and is intended to be a healthy eating guideline for the rest of your life. In Phase 3, you can eat all types of food, all in moderation. Each phase of The South Beach Diet has specific recipes that will make it easier to eat well and feel satisfied.
Fast and easy to make, this is a simple pudding made with ricotta cheese, grated lemon peel, vanilla, and sugar substitute. It's a good snack or dessert for anyone and especially for those following the South Beach Diet. This dessert meets the requirements for Phase 1 and may help satisfy cravings for sweets, which have mostly been eliminated during Phase 1.
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 packet sugar substitute
- In a small bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, grated lemon peel, vanilla extract, and sugar substitute. If desired, transfer to a pretty dish and chill until ready to serve.
- This recipe easily can be doubled, tripled or quadrupled, but it's easier to fight the temptation to eat the whole bowl by making only one serving at a time.
More South Beach Diet Recipes
- Roasted Vegetable Recipe: South Beach Diet Phase 1
- Turkey Meat Loaf Recipe: South Beach Diet Phase 2
Many have found success with the South Beach Diet. It's important to remember there is no quick fix for weight loss. By focusing on a healthy lifestyle, which includes healthy food choices, meal planning, and regular exercise, you will set yourself up for success. If the South Beach Diet seems like the best plan to fit your lifestyle, it can be worthwhile to invest some time into reading the cookbooks, understanding the program and finding recipes that fit your tastes and palate. The better you understand the program, the more likely you are to succeed.