After reviewing the South Shore platform bed, I gave it a thumbs-up for most budget shoppers. Don't expect great quality from this South Shore bed, but it's definitely an affordable option for those who need a bed at a bargain price. Check out the bed on the vendor's website.
- Super fast and easy to assemble with two people. Possible to assemble with one, though it is harder that way.
- The finish is nice -- smooth, uniform and easy to clean.
- The platform style eliminates the need for a box spring, saving the buyer more money.
- The manufacturer included extra small parts for assembly -- always comes in handy in case you lose a piece during the assembly process.
- Looks just like the photos. It has an attractive look at a bargain price.
- The particle board frame may not hold screws once disassembled. I wouldn't recommend moving this bed. Once everything is screwed it, let it stay put.
- Very heavy, before and after assembly. You may need help transporting and assembling it.
- Assembly instructions do not list a short-handled screwdriver or drill, which I found necessary.
- There were no seats, so the solid wood surface that the mattress sits on makes for a very firm sleeping surface. That is great if you like a firm rest.
- Headboard side of the bed is left unfinished, so this bed must be up next to a wall or use a headboard.
- South Shore platform bed average prices at review time:
Twin:$99; Full: $129; Queen: $139
- Finishes are currently available in white, chocolate, natural maple, and black. I ordered the bed in white for my review.
- Bed coordinates with South Shore's Step One furniture collection.
- This South Shore bed was manufactured from eco-friendly composite wood carrying the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certification -- a plus if you're into green living.
- The South Shore Customer Service (toll-free: 1-800-290-0495) is available seven days a week during regular business hours.
South Shore Bed Review
The South Shore platform bed seems like an amazing deal. Retailing across most sites for around $125 for a full size and $140 for a queen, this bed is perfect for budget-minded shoppers. Though it requires some careful attention (and a bit of strength) during assembly, the finished product should work well for most homeowners assuming you don't re-arrange your furniture too much.
I purchased two of these South Shore beds, in full-size and in white, from Amazon. Keep an eye on Amazon's pricing and shipping, which varies from day to day. I kept the bed in my cart for about two weeks while I watched the price. I scored both my beds for $113 with free shipping.