Easy and delicious Southern-style green beans are flavored with salt pork or a small ham hock.
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed, rinsed, and cut in 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 quart (4 cups) water
- 1/4 pound diced salt pork or 1 small smoked ham hock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash sugar
- Put the diced salt pork or the ham hock in a saucepan and add water to cover. Cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add green beans to the saucepan, along with the salt and sugar; cover and cook beans over medium heat for about 30 to 45 minutes, or until green beans are very tender.
- If using ham hock, remove the meat from the bone, dice, and return to the green beans.
You Might Also Like