This recipe not only cooks in the microwave oven, but you can reheat it in that appliance too. Try it the next time you're in a hurry for pasta!
It's surprising that you can cook pasta in the microwave, but it makes sense if you think about it. You can find products on late night television now that promise you can cook pasta in a container with hot water. Pasta doesn't technically need to be cooked in rolling boiling water; it just needs to rehydrate in hot water. That's why this recipe works.
Here's how to cook pasta in the microwave oven: make sure the pasta is covered with liquid and that it's not sticking together. You do need to stir the casserole a few times while it's cooking so the spaghetti absorbs the liquid properly. And standing time is important; the food finishes heating and the pasta will absorb more flavor.
Serve this dish with a green salad tossed with mushrooms, grape tomatoes, and an intense Italian vinaigrette. Garlic toast is, of course, a must.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
- 8 oz. spaghetti pasta, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a 3-quart microwave safe casserole, place beef and onions, crumbling beef to break into small pieces.
2. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, stirring once to break up meat.
3. Microwave on high for 2 more minutes until the beef is browned and thoroughly cooked. Drain off any excess fat, if necessary.
4. Add spaghetti sauce, water, basil and uncooked spaghetti to the casserole dish. Mix gently to combine.
5. Cover with microwave-safe plastic wrap, venting one corner, and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
6. Stir well. Cover casserole again and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes longer. Stir well.
7. Sprinkle with cheese, cover again and microwave on high for 7-8 minutes longer until spaghetti is tender.
8. Let stand 4 minutes before serving; don't skip this step! The food has to stand so the heat distributes evenly and there are no super hot spots you could burn yourself on. Then enjoy.