Chorizo a la Sidra, or Chorizo Sausage in Cider is one of the most traditional tapas, which is very easy to prepare. Spanish chorizo sausage is tasty by itself but is used as an ingredient in many Spanish tapas, stews, soups, and rice dishes. Fresh or uncured chorizo is needed for this particular recipe.
The other main ingredient is Sidra -- or "hard" apple cider -- typical of the region of Asturias, Spain, and is slightly fizzy, low in alcohol. It is a popular drink all over Spain, especially in the summer months when a cold, refreshing glass of cider is welcome. However, warm Chorizo a la Sidra is served year-round.
- 2.2 pounds or 8 Spanish chorizo sausages - fresh or semi-cured
- 1-2 cups (250-500 millileters) Asturian cider or sidra
- Place a large, heavy-bottom frying pan on medium heat and pour in the Spanish cider.
- Place chorizo sausages in the pan. (If still tied together, separate first.)
- Simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes. Alcohol will evaporate and liquid will reduce.
- Remove the chorizo sausages one at a time and cut into thick slices.
- Serve chorizo in the warm cider. Traditionally, this tapa is served in open clay dishes, as shown in the photo.
More Dishes from Asturias
- Asturian Bean and Sausage Casserole Recipe - Fabada Asturiana
- Asturian Beef and Vegetable Stew Recipe - Ternera a la Asturiana
- Asturian Apple Fritters Recipe - Buñuelos de Manzana
- Frixuelos de Asturias Recipe - Asturian Crepes
- Asturian Cheesecake Recipe - Quesada Asturiana
- Rice Pudding Recipe - Arroz con Leche
More Chorizo Sausage Recipes
- Easy Fried Peppers, Garlic, and Chorizo Recipe – Pimientos, Ajo y Chorizo Frito, side dish or tapa
- White Beans with Chorizo Recipe - Alubias Blancas con Chorizo
- Spanish Pork Loin and Chorizo Recipe – Lomo con Chorizo, a delicious main course
- Spanish Chorizo and Serrano Ham Pizza Recipe
- Cojonudos Recipe – Fried Quail Eggs with Chorizo or Morcilla, an easy tapa
- Riojana Potato Soup Recipe – Patatas Riojanas
- Easy Pasta in Chorizo & Tomato Sauce Recipe - Macaroni en Salsa de Tomate con Chorizo
- Eggs in Purgatory Recipe - Huevos en el Purgatorio
- Chorizo, Red Wine, Potatoes and Cabbage Soup Recipe