There are thousands of different "tapas" in Spain - both hot and cold. Fried almonds or "almendras fritas" can be eaten warm just after frying or at room temperature. They are a tasty treat, and take about 5 minutes to make. This recipe provides readers with two cooking methods – one in the frying pan and the other in the microwave.
- 8-9 oz blanched almonds
- 3-4 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
If you cannot find whole, blanched and peeled almonds in your grocery store, you can blanch them at home following these simple instructions. If you blanch the almonds at home, be sure they are thoroughly dried before proceeding.
Frying Pan Method
- Pour olive oil into a medium non-stick frying pan with a heavy bottom. Place on medium heat and be sure that olive oil coats the entire bottom of the pan.
- When pan is hot, add almonds and “sauté” them, stirring often until all sides are golden brown.
- Remove from the pan using a slotted spoon or spatula and place on paper towels, spreading them out to drain.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve.
Microwave Oven Method
- Place blanched almonds on a large dinner plate (10 or 12 inch).
- Drizzle olive oil over almonds, stirring almonds to ensure that they are coated with oil on all sides.
- Spread almonds out around the plate, leaving the center of the plate empty.
- Place in microwave and cook for 90 seconds on 750 watt power. Move almonds or stir. Cook for another 90 seconds.
- Remove almonds and sprinkle with salt. Serve.