Pieces of chicken are pan-fried in olive oil, then onions and garlic are added and cooked until caramelized. This is a rich dish, full of sweet onions and garlic, perfect to use for dipping rustic bread. This Spanish recipe is a family favorite that's easy enough for beginner cooks and teenage children to help with.
- Remove all innards and cut the chicken into about 16 pieces. Remove extra fat and discard.
- Coarsely chop onions. Separate and peel all garlic cloves.
- Pour olive oil to 1/2-inch deep into a large heavy-bottom frying pan. Heat on medium. When the oil is hot, add chicken to pan and fry, turning over after about 10 minutes. Chicken takes about 20 minutes to cook.
- When chicken is almost done, add chopped onions, whole garlic cloves, bay leaves, and peppercorns. Cook in the pan, stirring occasionally until onions and garlic are caramelized.
- Remove from heat and serve with rustic bread or homemade fried potatoes.