Oxtails in a rich sauce of carrots, onions, garlic and Spanish sherry makes a delicious main course, particularly for the fall and winter. Serve with home fried potatoes. This recipe uses a pressure cooker to reduce cooking time.
Note: Since oxtail meat is not soft unless simmered for hours, this recipe uses a large pressure cooker to reduce the cooking time to approximately 1 hour. It must be at least 6 liters in size. If you do not use a pressure cooker, the cooking time will be 2-3 hours.
1. Gather all ingredients above, a large frying pan and pressure cooker.
2. Peel and coarsely chop the three onions.
3. Prepare the following vegetables:
- Rinse carrots; remove blemishes and trim ends.
- Cut carrots into 1/4-inch slices. Peel and slice garlic.
- Remove seeds from green pepper and cut into strips.
- Clean and chop celery into 1-inch pieces.
- Chop tomatoes into 1-inch pieces.
4. Pour a few tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed frying pan. Heat pan on medium.
5. When oil is hot enough, sauté onions until translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
6. Pour 4 tablesppons olive oil in pressure cooker and heat on medium. Place oxtails in the pressure cooker and brown on all sides.
7. Brown the rest of the ingredients together with the oxtails, stirring often for about 5 minutes. Then, pour in the sherry. Be sure to stir often so that the mixture does not burn.
8. Cook in pressure cooker for about 1 hour. Do not leave the heat on high. Once the pressure has built up, reduce the heat to medium or medium-low, so that the oxtails do not burn.
9. Remove from heat and allow pressure to be released after about 1 hour. Oxtails should be soft. Vegetables and wine should form a sauce in the pressure cooker.
10. Serve with fried potatoes on the side. Or, if you prefer, serve the way many families do in Spain - Mix the fried potatoes with meat and vegetables just before serving.