Chinese spareribs with black bean sauce are a tasty and simple dish to make at home. It works great as a main or side dish. This is a great recipe for cooks who like the one pan method of cooking. The whole mean can be completed with the use of one wok or frying pan.
Traditionally this dish is made with fermented whole black beans, while they can be found in any Chinese grocery store a simple prepared black bean sauce makes this dish much easier to cook. The prepared black bean sauce takes the work out of rinsing and mashing fermented black beans without sacrificing the flavor. The sauce is an essential time saver for any busy cook who wants a fast meal but doesn't want to miss out on great flavors.
While spare ribs probably aren't one of the first foods people think of when it comes to healthy eating this recipe has one very special heart-healthy component. Black beans are a great way to add essential vitamins to your diet. These beans are rich in vitamin B6 which helps boost the immune system and your mood. B6 is also vital when it comes to having a healthy nervous system. These beans are also high in fiber and potassium. Foods that are high in fiber help to fight high cholesterol and heart disease.
Serves 4 to 6.
- 2 pounds pork spareribs (trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons oil for stir-frying
- Optional: 2 teaspoons cornstarch (dissolved in 4 teaspoons water)
- For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons black bean sauce with garlic (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 1 teaspoon broth
- 1 cup water (or low-sodium chicken broth)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Trim the ribs and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Mince the ginger. In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Heat wok to medium-high heat and add oil. When oil is ready, add the ginger and stir-fry until aromatic (about 15 seconds).
- Add the spareribs, stir-frying until they are lightly browned. Add the sauce.
- Reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- This step is optional. If you want to thicken this recipe, mix the cornstarch and water together while the other ingredients cook. Once the ingredients are finished simmering, give the cornstarch/water mixture a quick re-stir and add, stirring to thicken.
Serve with white rice.
Spareribs With Black Bean Sauce - made with fermented black beans.