In the depths of winter, you and your child may be looking at the calendar of observances to stimulate learning activities. Besides Valentine's Day and Black History Month, you can learn about ways to be emotionally healthy, physically active, and to understand health challenges that others face.
Your community centers, health organizations, and schools may have events in coordination with some of these special days and observances. But don't hesitate to create your ways to learn more about areas of interest or just have fun.
- Black History Month
- American Heart Month: Hosted by the American Heart Association. Learn about keeping your heart healthy. Many medical centers have activities and health fairs, including walks and Wear Red for Women Day.
- National Children's Dental Health Month: Hosted by the American Dental Association. A good time to discuss good oral care habits.
- Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month: Discuss this important topic with your sons and daughters.
- Friendship Month
- National Youth Leadership Month
- Library Lovers Month
Check your current calendar as these weeks may vary from year to year.
- Children's Author's and Illustrators Week: (first week)
- National School Counseling Week:(first week)
- International Snow Sculpting Week: (first week)
- Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Week (second week)
- Jello Week (second full week)
- Random Acts of Kindness Week: (second week)
- National Engineers Week: February (third week)
- National Eating Disorder Screening Program Week (fourth week)
Special Days and Holidays
The dates shown are examples only as some observances are on the same day every year while others move. Be sure to check your calendar to see the date for the current year.
- February 1 National Freedom Day (Freedom from Slavery)
- February 2 Groundhog Day
- February 3 USO Day
- February 4 Artist Appreciation Day
- February 4 World Cancer Day
- February 5 National Weatherman's Day
- February 6 Take your child to the library day ( first Saturday)
- First Friday of February: National Wear Red Day (awareness of heart disease in women)
- February 8 Kite Flying Day
- February 9 National Stop Bullying Day
- February 9 Weather Day
- February 9 Read in the Bathtub Day
- February 11 Make a Friend Day
- February 11 Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk Day
- February 12 Lincoln's Birthday
- February 12 Darwin Day
- February 13 Get a Different Name Day
- February 14 Valentine's Day
- February 14 Read to Your Child Day
- February 14 National Organ Donor Day
- Third Monday of February: Presidents Day
- February 16 Do a Grouch a Favor Day
- February 17 Random Acts of Kindness Day
- February 17 Digital Learning Day
- February 18 Kid Inventors Day
- February 18 Pluto Day
- February 20 Clean Out Your Bookcase Day
- February 20 National Love Your Pet Day
- February 21 International Mother Language Day
- February 22 Washington's Birthday
- February 22 Be Humble Day
- February 22 World Thinking Day
- February 26 Tell a Fairy Tale Day
- February 26 Toad Hollow Day of Encouragement
- February 27 No Brainer Day
- February 27 Spay Day USA
- February 28 (last day of February) Rare Disease Day