In the depths of winter, you and your child may be looking at the calendar of observances for opportunities for special activities. Besides Valentine's Day and Black History Month, there are days devoted to emotional health, physical activities, and wellness challenges—all of which provide opportunities to expand understanding while having fun learning. Your local community centers, health organizations, and schools may have events in coordination with some of these special days and observances. Note that Leap Day occurred in February of 2020, but there is no Leap Day or Leap Year in 2021.
Here are official and unofficial days to celebrate this month.
February Daily Holidays and Observances
- February 1: National Freedom Day, National Dark Chocolate Day, National Serpent Day, National Baked Alaska Day, National Get Up Day
- February 2: Groundhog Day, National Hedgehog Day, National Tater Tot Day, National Ukulele Day
- February 3: Four Chaplains Day, National Missing Persons Day, National Carrot Cake Day, National Golden Retriever Day
- February 4: USO Day, World Cancer Day, National Homemade Soup Day
- February 5: National Weatherperson's Day, World Nutella Day
- February 6: National Lame Duck Day, Pay a Compliment Day, National Frozen Yogurt Day
- February 7: National Send a Card to a Friend Day, Rose Day, National Fettuccine Alfredo Day, National Bubble Gum Day* (first Friday), National Wear Red Day* (first Friday), Give Kids a Smile Day* (first Friday)
- February 8: Take Your Child to the Library Day* (first Saturday), National Kite Flying Day, Opera Day, Read in the Bathtub Day
- February 9, National Pizza Day, World Marriage Day* (second Sunday)
- February 10: National Umbrella Day, Teddy Day, National Clean Out Your Computer Day* (second Monday)
- February 11: National Inventors' Day, National Make a Friend Day, National Don’t Cry Over Spilled Milk Day, National Make a Friend Day, Get Out Your Guitar Day, International Day of Women and Girls in Science
- February 12: Abraham Lincoln's Birthday, International Darwin Day
- February 13: World Radio Day, Galentine's Day, National Tortellini Day
- February 14: Valentine's Day, National [Organ] Donor Day
- February 15: National Gumdrop Day, Susan B. Anthony Day, National Bagel Day, Singles Awareness Day
- February 16: Do a Grouch a Favor Day, National Almond Day
- February 17: Presidents' Day* (third Monday)
- February 18: National Battery Day, National Drink Wine Day
- February 19: National Chocolate Mint Day
- February 20: National Love Your Pet Day, National Muffin Day
- February 21: International Mother Language Day, National Sticky Bun Day, National Caregivers Day* (third Friday)
- February 22: George Washington's Birthday, Be Humble Day, World Thinking Day, National Margarita Day
- February 23: National Banana Bread Day
- February 24: National Tortilla Chip Day
- February 25: National Chocolate Covered Nut Day, Let's All Eat Right Day, National Clam Chowder Day, National Pancake Day, World Spay Day* (last Tuesday)
- February 26: Tell a Fairy Tale Day, National Pistachio Day
- February 27: No Brainer Day, International Polar Bear Day, National Chili Day, Digital Learning Day* (last Thursday)
- February 28: National Public Sleeping Day, National Chocolate Souffle Day, National Science Day
- February 29: Leap Day (every four years), Rare Disease Day* (either 28 or 29 depending on year)
How Leap Day Balances Our Calendar
Every four years we have a Leap Year, which means a day is added to the end of February (the shortest month) called Leap Day. The extra day is a corrective measure that synchronizes the calendar with the earth's almost year-long orbit around the sun. Without Leap Day, a few hours would cumulatively disappear every year, eventually throwing off our calendar and seasons.
February Weekly Holidays and Observances
- Children's Authors and Illustrators Week (first week)
- National School Counseling Week (first week)
- National Marriage Week (7-14)
- Congenital Heart Defects Awareness Week (second week)
- International Flirting Week (second week)
- Freelance Writers Appreciation Week (second week)
- Jell-O Week (second week)
- Great American Pizza Bake (second week)
- Random Acts of Kindness Week (third week)
- Engineers Week (third week, always encompasses George Washington's Birthday on 22)
- National Eating Disorders Awareness Week (fourth week)
February Monthly Holidays and Observances
- American Heart Month
- Black History Month
- Canned Food Month
- Dog Training Education Month
- Friendship Month
- Great American Pie Month
- Library Lovers Month
- National Bake for Family Fun Month
- National Bird Feeding Month
- National Cherry Month
- National Children's Dental Health Month
- National Embroidery Month
- National Grapefruit Month
- National Hot Breakfast Month
- National Snack Food Month
- National Youth Leadership Month
- National Pet Dental Health Month
- Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month
*Denotes that date changes each year.
"World Cancer Day 2021." The Union for International Cancer Control.
"National Donation Awareness Events." organdonor.gov, U.S. Health Resources and and Services Administration.
Schiefer, Allie. "Congenital Heart Defects Awareness Week." American Association for Respiratory Care, 2020.
"National Eating Disorders Awareness Week." National Eating Disorders Association.
"February Is National Children's Dental Health Month." American Dental Association.
"Pet Health and Veterinary Awareness Events." American Veterinary Medical Association.