A simple seasoning mix of paprika, cumin, coriander, and turmeric is a great rub for cod. This recipe creates a low-fat fish entree that is perfect for busy families because it can be ready in less than 30 minutes.
While the recipe is written for true cod (or Pacific cod), the rub can work or almost any other mild-tasting white fish. Good choices include orange roughy or tilapia. These are the perfect foundation for the spices and if it's not quite spicy enough for you, add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the mix.
The fish can be broiled, though you might also like to cook it on the grill. How long the fish needs to cook depends on its thickness. As a general rule, allow 10 minutes per inch.
- 4 fillets cod (or any mild-tasting white fish)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 lemon
- Preheat the broiler.
- Spray a broiler pan or cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the spices.
- Sprinkle the spice rub over both sides of the fish fillets.
- Place the fillets in the greased pan. Broil for 5 to 6 minutes, turning once, until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the cooked fish.
This is such a light, simple entree that you really cannot go wrong with any side dish.
To create a well-rounded meal, cook up some couscous or rice and a selection of vegetables.