This is a great fall dish but still good anytime of year. Cloves and cinnamon candies flavor these spiced apple rings.
- 12 pounds firm tart apples, no more than 2 1/2-inch diameter
- 12 cups sugar
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups white vinegar, 5-percent acidity
- 3 tablespoons whole cloves
- 3/4 cup red hot cinnamon candies or 8 cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- Wash apples.
- Peel and slice one apple at a time.
- Immediately cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices, remove core area with a melon baller and immerse in ascorbic acid solution to keep the apples from discoloring.
- In a 6-quart saucepan, combine sugar, water, vinegar, cloves, cinnamon candies, or cinnamon sticks and food coloring.
- Stir, heat to boil, and simmer 3 minutes.
- Drain apples, add to hot syrup, and cook 5 minutes.
- Fill wide mouth sterilized canning jars with apple rings and hot flavored syrup, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner according to the recommendations below.
Process Time at Altitudes of 0 - 1,000 ft:: 10 min.
1,001 - 6,000 ft:: 15 min.
Above 6,000 ft:: 20 min.