Cinnamon and ginger flavor these tasty beets, along with a little lemon and brown sugar. You can use red or golden beets in this recipe. Or try another variety, like the pretty red and white striped Chioggia or white beets.
If you use fresh beets, roast them in the oven or in the slow cooker. You may also use a can of diced beets, drained.
You could roast them a day in advance and then prepare the dish just before serving time. See the tips and variations for oven and slow cooker instructions.
- 8 to 10 small whole cooked beets
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Slip skins from cooked beets; dice.
Put beets in a medium saucepan with remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
Tips and Variations
- Slow Cooker Roasted Beets - Wash and trim the beets, leaving about 1/2 inch of stem and about an inch of the root end.. Place a beet on a sheet of foil and drizzle with about 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil. Wrap it tightly place it in the slow cooker. Repeat with the remaining beets. Cover and cook on high for about 3 to 4 hours, or until the beets are tender. Unwrap and slip the skins off of the beets. Dice and proceed with the recipe.
- Oven Roasted Beets - Wash, trim, and wrap the beets in foil as above. Place the wrapped beets on a baking sheet; bake for about 1 hour, or until the beets are very tender. When they are cool enough to handle, rub off the skins. Dice the beets and continue with the recipe.
- Make the spiced beets with drained canned diced beets.
- Use golden beets or another variety of beetroot.