This crock pot corned beef recipe is made with apple cider, cabbage, carrots, and other ingredients. Add some rutabaga or parsnips to the crock pot along with the potatoes.
For a more traditional spiced flavor, use a bouquet garni bag with pickling spices. See the tips and variations for more.
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1 small head cabbage, cut into wedges
- 4 medium carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 corned beef brisket, about 3 to 4 pounds
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- dash allspice
- 3 whole cloves
1. Place sliced onions and carrots in the crockpot. Trim excess fat from corned beef and cut in half if necessary; place meat on the vegetables.
2. In a bowl, combine the cider, brown sugar, orange peel, mustard, allspice, and cloves; pour over the brisket.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for about 7 hours.
4. Add the cabbage wedges to the pot. Cover and continue cooking for 1 to 2 hours, or until the cabbage is tender.
Tips and Variations
For a spice-flavored corned beef, add a cheesecloth garnish bag with these seasonings: 2 tablespoons whole mixed pickling spices, 10 black peppercorns, 2 bay leaves, crumbled, and several sprigs of parsley.
Cut a medium rutabaga into large chunks and add to the slow cooker along with the potatoes.
You Might Also Like