Molasses and a variety of spices flavor this delicious pumpkin pie. The molasses gives the pie filling darker color and flavors it nicely. Use sorghum molasses if you have it.
The pie pictured was baked in a frozen gluten-free pie shell. Use a frozen pie shell, refrigerated pie pastry, or homemade pastry.
If you take a little extra time to partially bake the pie shell, you'll have a firmer and drier bottom crust.
Bourbon Pumpkin Pie
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pumpkin or squash puree, or canned (one 15-ounce can)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup evaporated milk or half-and-half
- 1 unbaked pie shell, 9-inch
- Preheat the oven to 425 F (220 C/Gas 7).
- Prepare the pastry for your pie and fit it into the pie plate. Keep the pastry chilled in the refrigerator if you won't be filling it immediately.
- Combine the canned pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, spices, and molasses; beat to blend. Blend in the beaten eggs and the milk until the mixture is smooth and well blended.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pie shell. Bake for in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F (180° C/Gas 4) and bake for 35 to 45 minutes longer, or until center of the pie is set. A knife inserted in the center of the custard should come out clean.
- Top each serving of the pie with whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon-sugar.
You Might Also Like